This policy applies to your use of the Epic services. By “Epic services,” we mean any of our websites, stores, games, game developer tools, applications, or other products or services that link to this policy. Additional terms and conditions may also apply to your relationship with Epic, depending on how you choose to interact with us. Please read this entire policy to make sure you fully understand it. You should also be sure to carefully review other terms potentially applicable to your visit and your use of specific Epic services (such as Fortnite or the use of your Epic Account with third-party games), and confirm that you understand and agree to them, before using the Epic services.
Epic Games, Inc. and our subsidiaries operate and support the Epic services from different locations around the world. When we say “Epic” or “Epic Games,” we’re referring to the relevant Epic entity identified for your region in the “How to Contact Us” section of the policy below. This Epic entity is responsible for providing the Epic services to you and is the controller of information collected under this policy.
Please see “How to Contact Us” below to learn more about sending us any privacy-related questions or concerns you may have.
Information We Collect
We generally collect information in three ways: (1) you voluntarily provide information to us, such as by creating an account, making purchases, or signing up for email alerts, (2) we collect information automatically from your use of the Epic services, such as through cookies or our games and other software, and (3) other parties, such as game console platforms and social networks, may provide information to us. Each of these methods is described in more detail below.
(1) Information You Provide
You may provide your personal information to us when you choose to use the Epic services. Because we change our offerings and features from time to time, the options you have to provide us with information also may change. Some of the most common examples of situations in which you may provide information to us include:
- Creating an Epic account;
- Licensing and downloading our games or game engines;
- Using the Epic services’ social features (see “When You Use Social Features of the Epic Services”);
- Purchasing something from us or otherwise engaging in a transaction with us;
- Entering online competitions or registering for or participating in special events;
- Entering contests or sweepstakes, participating in any of our promotions, or accepting any prizes from us;
- Signing up for email alerts or subscribing to receive other information from us;
- Completing a survey;
- Using a mobile device, such as a phone, to play our games or use our applications; and
- Contacting us for any reason, such as by email, including for technical support or customer service.
The specific types of information you may be able to provide us will often vary depending on the Epic services you are using and how you interact with them.
For example, you’ll need an Epic account to access certain parts of the Epic services. If you’d like to create one, you may be asked to provide basic registration details like your name, a public-facing display name, password, country of residence, and email address. We automatically assign each new Epic account with a number (an “Epic account ID”) during the registration process, which helps to uniquely reference your Epic account across the Epic services and facilitate features like cross-play.
If you’d like to make a purchase, we may ask you to provide billing information (like your card’s payment account number and expiration date) to enable the transaction. Sometimes we ask for other information like your phone number, postal address, billing address, and date of birth. We’ll also collect information when you choose to share it with us directly in any other way, including by sending it as part of a communication with Epic (like through Player Support requests) or other users of the Epic services (like through in-game chat or forum posts).
Some of our websites also provide a feature that supports job applications, in which case we also ask for your resume, real name, email address, and phone number. We use this information to determine if you are qualified for the position for which you applied or to contact you to set up an interview.
(2) Information We Collect Automatically
We collect some information automatically when you visit the Epic services. We typically aggregate this data and use it in statistical form to determine trends among groups of users, rather than using it to identify individuals. If a combination of information that we collect does identify you as an individual, we will treat the combined information as personal information.
We collect information automatically through technologies such as web browsers, cookies, log files, web beacons, and our back-end servers collect usage data transmitted from the Epic services. We use the information for purposes such as modifying or improving features, managing advertising, addressing technical issues, preventing fraud or misuse of our services, and conducting data analytics. The type of information that we automatically collect may vary, but generally includes:
- Technical information about your computer, device, hardware, or software you use to access the Internet or our services, such as IP address or other transactional or identifier information for your device (such as device make and model, information about device operating systems and browsers, or other device or system related specifications);
- Usage information and statistics about your interaction with the Epic services, which may include the URLs of our websites that you have visited, URLs of referring and exiting pages, page views, time spent on a page, number of clicks, platform type, the application you used or the game you played, how long you used or played it and when, and other usage statistics;
- Crash reports, which may be automatically generated when a game or application crashes and includes information about your system and the crash;
- Information that facilitates a safer and more personalized experience, such as your display name or other user identification provided in connection with your application use or game play, saved preferences, game progress, and device identifiers or usage information for authentication and fraud prevention purposes; and
- The location of your device, such as may be derived from your device’s IP address.
Please note that if certain features on the Epic services are provided by third parties, those third parties may also use automated means of data collection and may record information about your use of the Epic services or others’ websites over time. These features are subject to those third parties’ privacy notices and policies.